Millard Fillmore Hospital


Buffalo, N.Y.

Dedicated in 1911, the Buffalo Homeopathic Hospital (later Millard Fillmore Hospital) was designed by Boston architect George F. Newton. Many additions were made until 1972, and in 2010, building owners Kaleida Health consolidated operations at Buffalo General Hospital and requested adaptive reuse proposals from the community. BAC/A+P is a member of the team whose winning proposal will convert the site into a Veterinary School and Hospital, while respecting the roots of its homeopathic history.

The team will reactivate the 1911 core, remake the 1941 Center building, its mid-1950s addition and many of the subsequent additions to the site. The plan includes reusing the existing buildings, and extending Olmsted principles to the landscape, to restore dignity to this important place and its architecture in a way that reopens the site to the community, in the most responsible way possible. BAC/A+P is the preservation architect,  managing the Historic Preservation Certification (rehabilitation tax credit) process, technical preservation and regulatory and design review for the project.

Client: Chason Affinity Companies, LLC

© Copyright Barbara Campagna – True Green Cities - 2011-2013