State Department Headquarters, Harry S. Truman Building


Washington, D.C.

Eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places

The State Department Building was constructed in two phases: the Old War Department building erected between 1939-1941, and the State Department “Extension” built between 1957-1961. The War Department building was designed by Gilbert S. Underwood and William Dewey Foster, consulting architects under Supervising Architect Louis A. Simon of the Public Buildings Services. The structure was occupied by the State Department beginning in 1947. The “Extension” was designed by Graham, Anderson, Probst and White Architects and Harley, Ellington & Day in a joint venture called Harley, Probst Associates.

BAC/A+P was a preservation consultant to Kling/Stubbins, an A/E firm designing a Super Energy Savings Performance Contract that involved the installation of natural gas fired hot water boilers to supply the building’s heating needs, replacing the existing steam-to-hot-water converters and installing a solar array on the roof. BAC/A+P managed the historic preservation compliance process. The project was approved by the Washington, D.C. State Historic Preservation Office and D.C. Planning Commission.

Client: Kling/Stubbins and Department of State

© Copyright Barbara Campagna – True Green Cities - 2011-2013